Feedback is always important...so let me know whatchya' think. Leave a comment!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring in the "Patch"

Enjoy this short video of pictures I took today, walking through our woods with the dogs.  I love my Birds of Michigan Field Guide (and companion audio CD) to help me identify the birds I see around the patch.  (Thanks, Jen and Jeff!)


video


PHOTOS IN THE VIDEO
In the order in which they appear.


1)  A Black-Capped Chickadee flitted in a bush just outside our living room window.

2)  A Tufted Titmouse sat in a huff in the tree by our Hawken Woodstove.

3)  Along our trail on the north side I caught a Robin as he took flight!

4)  A steep hill on the Rifle River Recreation Area ski trail--at the spot where my nieces and I skied down on our butts!

5)  A pair of Tundra Swans trumpeted overhead and soared down to Grebe Lake.

6)  A lonely fishing pier jutted out into the still-frozen water.

7)  But...it MUST be spring when Red-Winged Blackbirds sing!

8)  Gypsy carries two sticks, and will never give them up.  Gus likes a BIGGER stick to lug along!

9)  Where there is shelter from the sun, the snow is hanging on.  Nevertheless, like the wicked witch, it is melting, melting, melting!  You can barely see Gus's paw prints in the crusty snow as he passed by a sinking tip of pine bough.


Don't get the idea that I think winter is wicked!

In requiem.

Flowers for winter.

7 comments:

  1. What is the first bird song/call? We have one here that does the same thing, and the endless "hee-hooing" makes me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first bird song is by the Black-capped Chickadee! (Sorry it makes you crazy...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey aunt Patti! I'm guessing that's my mom complaining! Love you! -Sofia PS cool birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha! Yep, Sophia, it was your mom! Personally, I like the sound, but I guess if I was trying to sleep in it would drive me crazy too. When you come to visit you can see the birds yourself! Thanks for reading! Love you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (laughing) I don't mind the sounds of any other birds...that one just for some reason is especially irritating...I even like the sounds the crows make in the morning. But that cute little black-capped chickadee is another story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMBO (laughing my butt off!)-Sofia

    ReplyDelete