Handsome Jack, a chocolate Lab guide dog for L^2 (her blog is Dog's Eye View), nominated my blog, plays with puppies, for an "Awesome Blog" award! This is my very first blog award and I am honored.
Thank you Jack (and L^2)!
In accepting this award I must do three things:
- Link to the person who gave me the award (Guide Dog Jack and his girl, L^2, at Dog's Eye View).
- Share seven things about myself.
- Pass the award on to 15 other blogs.
Okay, here's the link to Dog's Eye View:
Here are seven things about me that heretofore I have not blogged about:
- My first dog was a big, black Lab mix (maybe Irish Setter?) female named Aero. I got her when I was 25 years old.
- Not only did I bicycle across the United States in 1976, I rode across again in 1987. The trip in '76 was with Bikecentennial (now called the Adventure Cycling Association) and it took 84 days. In '87 I rode PacTour on a tandem with my friend Lou and it took us 17 days!
- I've broken my nose twice. Once at age 11 by a softball; again at age 50-something by the hard head of an energetic young Weimaraner.
- I once ran away to work (briefly) for the Norfolk Southern railroad.
- My second dog was a small, yellow Lab mix (maybe Beagle?) female named Stoker. She made all our customers (we owned a bicycle store at the time) feel like they were her best friends.
- I am the middle kid of seven.
- A big golden retriever mix male named King befriended me when I was a 10th-grader in Clare, Michigan. Every day he met me in front of his house as I walked by on my way to school and accompanied me to the door; he was at the door again when school let out and he walked me back. One day he stopped me from crossing Main Street when I didn't see a semi-truck roar by!
Finding 15 "Awesome" blogs is a challenge for me because I am so new to the blogging world! Here are nine (I also didn't want to repeat any from Jack's list), in alphabetical order:
- Cura's Corner: The blog of a service dog user and her service dog, Cura Aebon.
- In the Center of the Roof: Follow Ro and her Guide Dog, Jayden. Ro loves to write and often posts her stories.
- Outdoor Wood Furnaces: The official blog of Hawken Energy, a Shelby, Michigan company that builds the BEST outdoor wood furnaces ever! (We have one!)
- Lake Superior Spirit: Kathy lives in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan. Take a breather and visit her blog.
- Richard Brehler's Photography: Okay, so he's my brother...but, he is also a very talented photographer. Check him out!
- Rock Paper Lizard: A quirky blog by a Canadian naturalist (so I assume). Great photos of wildlife, and an interesting, funny series of short stories he calls "The Interpreter Stories."
- Rududu's Semitropical Adventures: This blog about "knitting, birding and eating in Costa Rica and Wisconsin and other interesting places" is by a woman I met on that cross-country bicycle trip back in 1976--she rode across too! Thanks to FaceBook, we've recently reconnected.
- Safe & Sound blog: Beth Finke is an award-winning author, teaches a memoir writing class in Chicago, and works with her Seeing Eye dog, Harper, a yellow lab.
- Wilma & Friends: Wilma is a retired breed mom (Golden Retriever). Most of her 22 puppies went on to train as assistance dogs. Laura is now raising the adorable Future Leader Dog puppy, "Charlie," a Golden Retriever!
Thanks again, Jack and L^2. And I hope everyone enjoys checking out these blogs!
|My first two pups, Aero and Stoker.|