Feedback is always important...so let me know whatchya' think. Leave a comment!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Shoe Delivery Update

No more shoes.

FLD Gus, caught with sock-in-mouth.













Now it's SOCKS!

An innocent looking FLD Gus looks up, "Who me?"


Way back in December, I posted "Fixing a Miscommunication" about FLD Gus's shoe-delivery habit.  

My mission, should I choose to accept it, was to:
  1. Ignore Gus.  Don't give any eye contact and only remove the shoe if he's chewing it.
  2. Divert his attention by replacing the shoe with an appropriate toy.
  3. Reinforce the TAKE/GIVE command using the shoe and hope he loses interest in the shoe.
  4. Clarify the TAKE/GIVE command periodically with different things.
  5. Exercise him!

I thought I did all of these things.  I really can't remember the last time that FLD Gus brought me a shoe.  But the other day I caught a photo of him with my sock.  And it dawned on me.  Gus has replaced his shoe-delivery with SOCK-delivery!

What did I do wrong?

Without realizing it, sock-delivery has become a common habit.  Gus brings me a sock.  I don't look at him as I take it away.  I close our bedroom door.

Andy says, "It's really weird.  He doesn't ever chew it.  He just has to HAVE it."

And I just keep taking it away.

I believe that FLD Gus knows the TAKE/GIVE command.  He did lose interest in the shoe.  He does get more exercise.  

BUT.  I did not IGNORE him enough.  I did not give him a chance to just HAVE the shoe and lose interest in it when I did not come and take it away.

Now I have a new mission!

2 comments:

  1. Glacier does "shoe delivery" if someone comes to the door. Sometimes he does "shoe delivery" in combination with a toy. He doesn't chew them, but rather prances about with the toy/shoe in his mouth and eventually will drop the shoe back in place if people ignore him. If theymake a big deal out of him carrying a shoe, his dancing becomes crazier because he is all proud of himself and is getting attention for his behavior. I'm just glad he doesn't chew the shoe...that would be much worse. So, I guess it's a good thing Gus isn't destroying the sock? LOL Don't Glacier and Gus share the same Dad? Maybe its a genetic fault. ;)
    Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL that is so funny! And yes, Glacier and Gus do share the same dad---what is that old saying about apples and trees? :)

    ReplyDelete