Feedback is always important...so let me know whatchya' think. Leave a comment!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pet Blogger Challenge

Edie Jarolim, of "Will My Dog Hate Me," and Amy of "Go Pet Friendly Blog," thought it would be a good idea to look back on our blogs with an eye to the future.  They started a "Pet Blogger Challenge"--a series of questions about our blogs.  

Even though my blog, "plays with puppies," is not so much about my "pet," I still thought I would participate.  Thanks Edie and Amy, for giving me something to think about!



1. When did you begin your blog?

March 31, 2010, shortly after Rosie, the first puppy I raised for Leader Dogs for the Blind, was career-changed. Rosie was an eager, too-fast-paced black lab that made it through all of the training at Leader Dogs, but had to be held over three times for failure to find a good match.  (To read more about Rosie, just click on the label "Rosie" or the "Rosie Road.")


2. What was your original purpose for starting a blog?

I wanted a personal challenge and discipline to help me write daily.  I started my blog about my experiences raising Future Leader Dog puppies because I am interested in dog training and Leader Dogs and I thought it would be a good "niche" topic.  I wanted to integrate photography and poetry in my blog, as well as providing "training tips" for other dog-owners, or new puppy-raisers.  Ideally, I hoped my blog might inspire others to become puppy-raisers, or to become a resource for other puppy-raisers.


3. Is your current purpose the same?

Yes, although now I am raising my third Leader Dog puppy, Gus!

FLD Gus, snowboarding!

If not, what’s different?

If so, how do you feel you’ve met your goals?

Keeping this blog rolling has indeed helped me to discipline myself to writing daily, well, at least five days a week.  I'm not sure how much of a resource it has become to new puppy-raisers, but my readers seem to enjoy keeping up with my puppies!  I admit that it sometimes is frustrating to come up with fresh ideas every day.  Writing proves to be a bigger challenge when other things in my life demand attention.

4. Do you blog on a schedule or as the spirit moves you?

I have a self-imposed deadline to post five days a week.  Sometimes the spirit is not so moving!


5. Are you generating income from your blog?

Nope.

If so, how (e.g. sponsor ads, affiliate relationships, spokesperson opportunities)?


6. What do you like most about blogging in general and your blog in particular (bragging is good!)?

Blogging, in general, has expanded my exposure to others who benefit from assistance dogs.  Knowing the difference I can make in someone's life by raising a Future Leader Dog keeps me inspired to keep raising them!

One of the things I like about my blog is that it enables some of my friends to "keep track" of what I am doing.  It's a fun way to stay connected.


7. What do you like least?

I don't like posting something I've written that really needs more work!

8. How do you see your blog changing/growing in 2011?

Of course, I will continue writing about FLD Gus, my current puppy.  Next month I hope to report that my second puppy, Mike, will be placed with his new person.  He is currently in Phase IV training at Leader Dogs and if all goes well, he is scheduled to graduate next month!  That will make my year!  

And then...a fourth puppy?

10 comments:

  1. Interesting post! Stopping by on the hop, and really enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing you're doing! By the way, Gus is ridiculously cute on that sled. I'm so glad you decided to participate in the challenge, though Gus is technically not a pet. Thanks for sharing. It was great to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! Thanks for your comment. Yes, Gus is a cutie-pie...and, if he doesn't decide to take on the job as guide dog, he probably WILL become a pet! Nice to meet you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My belated thanks for participating! One of the best things about co-hosting this challenge is learning about all the awesome things pet bloggers are doing (the pictures of good-looking dogs are a bonus).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Edie--it was fun thinking through the questions. And wouldn't you know it...I've missed a "Training TIP" post today! (And I'm guessing you mean that FLD Gus is a handsome pup! He is, and fun besides.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through "Dog's Eye View," and I am enjoying reading it. I'm sorry to hear about Rosie's career change-it's funny how those things work sometimes. I've been on the other end as a handler they couldn't find someone fast enough for and was given a dog that I had to work with a lot to get where we are now. I wouldn't give him up for the world of course.
    Thanks for the interesting read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jess! (and Glacier!) Thanks for reading my blog. Interesting that you had the opposite problem in getting a dog. Rosie has adjusted well to her new life with three young girls...it's just a different kind of "job" she has now! Come visit anytime, I love hearing about the perspective from the other "end."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to you for the work you do raising pups. I don't have the fortitude for it, but am eternally grateful there are people out there like you who do. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet you, too, Vicky! Thanks for reading and the compliment. Raising puppies is just so much FUN.

    ReplyDelete