Feedback is always important...so let me know whatchya' think. Leave a comment!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Dog Food

I'm writing about food today.  Dog food.

Yesterday we picked up another 35-pound bag of Purina ProPlan Chicken and Rice for FLD Mike.

"What do you figure, about one of these per month for Mike?" Andy asked as he heaved the bag into the shopping cart.  We feed FLD Mike Purina ProPlan because that's what all the dogs-in-training  eat at Leader Dogs for the Blind.

No, I think it lasts about six weeks.

It wasn't until just now as I sit typing this that I realize this might be the last bag of food I'll have to buy for Mike.  He turns one-year-old on the 17th of September and returns to Leader Dogs on September 13.  I haven't kept track of how much dog food I've purchased for him this year.  I'm not sure I want to know.  But if I bought one 35-pound bag every six weeks, that would be about eight bags, or 280 pounds.  Sounds like a lot of food, doesn't it?

Well, did you know that Leader Dogs for the Blind goes through more than 122,000 pounds of dog food each year?  Yikes!  Good thing Purina is such a good sponsor.  (Check out an article here about how Purina helps.)


Anyway, I wanted to write about food today because I learned of a pet-food recall put out by the Procter & Gamble Company on July 30, 2010.   (Click here to link to the recall.)  The dry food recall includes Iams Veterinary Dry Formulas, Eukanuba Naturally Wild, Eukanuba Pure, and Eukanuba Custom Care Sensitive Skin, in all sizes and varieties.

According to P&G's notice, the recall is a "precautionary measure because it has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella."  If you have purchased any of these foods, P&G advises that you discard them.

For more information or refund, call P&G toll-free at 877-340-8823.

No comments:

Post a Comment