Feedback is always important...so let me know whatchya' think. Leave a comment!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

It's here! The 7th Assistance Dog Blog Carnival!

As promised, here is an overview of the 7th ADBC. For those of you not keen on the ADBC, check out Sharon Waschler's post, "About the ADBC" on her blog, "After Gadget."


While there was not a huge response to my chosen topic of EFFECT/AFFECT, or "How has a working dog in your life IMPACTED other people and/or the relationships in your life?" the posts that were submitted are thoughtful and honest.

To those who tackled this sensitive topic, I thank you for sharing.

It was interesting to me that two bloggers, who are handlers of assistance dogs, remarked that people are often more interested in their dogs than in them. Even as a volunteer puppy-raiser I get a taste of this when out and about in my small town with Future Leader Dog "Scout." My husband Andy says, "I don't even exist. First it's 'Hi, Scout' and then it's 'oh, it's that lady with the puppy.' Who am I?!"

At any rate, I pass the hosting baton on to Tori, at her blog "The Average Blog by an Average Blogger" for the 8th ADBC in July. Stay tuned!


THE 7TH ADBC POSTS

Lyssa, at her blog, "Downunder Assistance Dog," wrote "The Knightly Effect." Knightly is a nine-month-old Golden Retriever that she is training to be her assistance dog. Lyssa's post explores the many effects that Knightly has had and continues to have on her life (and her husband's life)...from getting her out of bed in the morning to keeping her out of the hospital.

Khills writes about how training her mobility assistance dog, Shai Ezer, "suicide proofs her." Her blog is "Shai Ezer-Helper Beside Me: Training My Service Dog," and her post for the ADBC is "Not Easily Broken: Dancing With Shai." Khills uses pictures to illustrate the journey she's taken with Shai after a 2009 diagnosis of the "intruder" MS (her term for the disease). Because everyone in her family "had to deal with it (MS)," Shai helps maintain the "family's equilibrium."

Sharon, over at her blog, "After Gadget," is responsible for starting the ADBC way back in the fall of 2010. (Where does the time go?) Her post "Service Dogs & Friends: Familiarity Breeds...Confusion?" is a sincere exploration of how the "raising, training, and handling" of her own service dogs has had a negative effect on the relationships with people in her life. In turn, these relationships have made it more difficult to actually train and work with her "dog partners."

L^2's post, "Impacts on Relationships," at her blog, "Dog's Eye View," examines the positive and negative impacts that working with her guide dog, Jack,  has had with people in her daily life, and "those I encounter once in a blue moon." Although Jack has eased the worries of her parents, L^2 says it has been difficult to get her family members to NOT treat Jack like a "pet." Read how this makes her feel toward spending time with them. Dealing with the general public has been negative for the most part--L^2 says she feels as though she and Jack are a "form of entertainment." Still, she likes the idea of raising awareness and hopes she has smoothed the way for other guide dog teams.


L^2 brings up an interesting take on how having her dog take center stage affects her interactions with "friends" and how she has established "new relationships" within an on-line community of handlers and others who are involved somehow with assistance dogs. That the blogging community sometimes acts as a "second family" is one of the benefits I wasn't expecting when I began blogging a few years ago.

My post, "The affecting effect of dogs..." is a personal note on how my love of dogs makes the relationship with my aging parents a sometimes-uncomfortable situation to manage. Yet, it always amazes me how these creatures demonstrate the true meaning of "unconditional" love.

READERS! Please take a few moments to meet my blogging friends by following the links above to their posts and their blogs.

Looking forward to the 8th ADBC Tori!


9 comments:

  1. Patti,
    Thank you so much for hosting! I agree that the posts are very honest and thoughtful. This was a heart-felt Carnival. I hope to see lots of comments from readers at the various blogs.
    I appreciate your candor and tenacity in making this happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, you are welcome. Thank you for introducing me to the Carnival! I hope that there will be lots of comments, too. Whew!

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful resources here! I'm so excited to visiting these others blogs. I'm learning so much through your blog about the beautiful and varied ventures of raising a service dog. Thank you! Off to meet new inspirational bloggers!

    Happy seeing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent Lydia! You have fallen into a very remarkable world. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for hosting this carnival! I appreciate how much thought you put into it. And I enjoyed reading all the posts. It was a small pool, but the posts were intense, so that maybe was good -- an extra-concentrated carnival. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon--glad you think so. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy and tend to make more of things than necessary. The posts were intense, and much appreciated. Thank YOU for making it all happen!

      Delete
  4. Patti - Thanks for hosting what is my first foray into an ADBC! It was interesting writing about what Knightley did for me in those early months, and continues to do. It really got me thinking, and actually told my family a lot that they didn't really know but were very happy to hear. I also really applaud what you do with the pups you raise. It must tear you up rather to let them go, but it's such an important job. Hope to see everyone here around in a future carnival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyssa, thank you for submitting a post for the 7th ADBC. I'm glad your family got to learn a bit more about Knightley.

    It IS a sad day when we say good-bye to our puppies, but a new puppy always licks our tears away. And really, I don't know how we COULDN'T give them back they make such a difference in someone's life.

    Thanks for finding us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete