Feedback is always important...so let me know whatchya' think. Leave a comment!

Friday, July 25, 2014

Introducing...

It is never easy. But there comes a time when we are called to make that hard decision and give our pets a gift of peace. This week it was time for my Gypsy. At 14, my anxious mutt had too much pain.

We let her go.

A black and white photo of a medium sized old dog with a brindle coat, lying in the grass. The dog is facing the camer with her eyes closes and her ears flopped back.
My old Gypsy-doodle enjoys a bit of sun.

Over the last several years, Gypsy kept a string of Future Leader Dog (FLD) puppies in line (and off the furniture). She helped raise Rosie, Mike, Gus, Scout and Dutch. She also kept some part-timers in line. FLDs Bear and Bandit spent time here before heading off to prison. She puppy-sitted FLDs Baker and Grant this past year. 

The old girl will be missed. There is one thing, however, that works wonders in drying tears. 

Introducing - FLD Henry!

A ground level shot of a small yellow lab/golden retriever puppy standing in front of a black german shepherd dog stature. The puppy's leash is looped around the statue's leg. The boy puppy is facing the camera and he is wearing the blue Future Leader Dog bandana. His head is slightly up.
FLD Henry looking proud by the statue in front of the kennel lobby at Leader Dogs for the Blind.

After we returned Dutch to Leader Dogs last fall I decided to wait to see how Gypsy fared before bringing yet another puppy into our home. Some family commitments made my choice an easy one.

But now I was able to say "yes" when Leader Dogs called about a puppy.

FLD Henry (named by my hubby after Henry Blake in MASH) is a Golden Retriever/Labrador mix. His Golden Retriever mother, Emma, is Dutch's sister; his father is my puppy counselor Tammy's breed stock yellow lab, Wally.

Here we go again!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations Patti! Henry is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim, he is a sweetie-pie!

      Delete
  2. bless you Patty. Henry is so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful. I could not do it...I would have a house full of stolen dogs. My one dog is super anxious pound rescue yellow lab and beagle...beaglador....smells like a hound, looks like a lab. Puppies are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by...and for rescuing your beaglador! Yes, puppies are cute so we don't mind getting up in the night so much. :)

      Delete
  4. Henry. I love it. You guys come up with the best nanes. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Andy for you, always thinking of names that "seem like a good friend."

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about Gypsy!! My oldest is 15 and I dread that day so much!
    Congrats on the newbie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! Enjoy every day with your old pup. It is a difficult time, but at least we can help them out of their pain when the time comes. For now, we're having fun with Henry!

      Delete